"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."






Monday, June 6, 2011

Blue Monday and Ruby Tuesday


For today's Blue Monday and tomorrow's Ruby Tuesday, I want to show you where I have lunch many times:  Donny's Country Cooking.


Here it is - in beautiful Kennesaw - just about a mile (as the crow flies) from where I work.  Just in case you can't read the price posted in the window, enlarge the photo.  Yes, friends, it's $6.61 plus tax.  That's $7.00 even - and the price includes your sweet or unsweet tea and everything on the food bar.  Donny's is a restaurant that features real home-style Southern cooking.  It is owned by Donny, an Asian, and the cooking is all done by Asians, as well.  Go figure.  But boy, have they got it right!


That's Donny who welcomes you when you come in, and takes your money when you leave.  He owns the restaurant.


This lady is on her way to the buffet area (or feeding troth, as my boss calls it).  She will not be disappointed!  I'll show you what I had to eat that day.  I  had 2 plates.  First, my salad plate:


At high noon, you see my lettuce salad with cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and pickled beets.  At 2:00 you see just a smattering of delicious cole slaw.  In front of that, their fantastic macaroni salad (with just a hint of curry flavoring!  It's fabulous!)  To the left of that, is crab salad and then the non-salad item:  a fried chicken leg.  I took that so that it would have time to cool down before I got ready to eat my entree.  Donny's fried chicken is very authentically southern - no spices - just chicken fried in batter, letting the chicken flavor come through.  It's perfect, IMHO.  Now on to my entree plate:


At 12:00 you see stir fried veggies - not mushy - just crisp tender like they should be.  At 2:00 is a genuine fried green tomato.  You may have seen the movie, this is the real thing.  And perfectly done.  I don't usually eat these, as I try to limit my fried food there to just the one piece of chicken.  But I thought I was duty-bound to put it on my plate that day to photograph it to show you.  And then, I had no choice but to eat it.  You don't want to waste food, right?  LOL.  In front of the fried green tomato a little taste of sirloin tips.  To the left of that, green beans, and a little dash of corn.  In back of the corn, Southern pinto beans.  Donny's also serves the prerequisite corn bread you need to eat with them, but I avoid this.

Now, I didn't have dessert; but had I wanted to, I could have had a slice of layer cake, piece of pecan pie, jello, banana pudding, several fresh fruits, and the piece-de-resistance:  CHEESECAKE.  (Remember - all for $7.00!)  The cheesecake is really good - no shortcuts!

Now, you'd think I couldn't stay on my diabetic diet and would gain weight eating here.  But I haven't.  Six months ago when I had an endocrinologist appointment my A1C was 10.  That's BAD!  Six months later, last week my A1C was 5 - SO MUCH BETTER!  And I had not gained any weight.  I think that choosing what I should eat at a buffet like this is what helped.  Check out all of the veggies I ate, the small meat portions, etc.

So if you ever find yourself in Kennesaw, get in touch with me and we'll have lunch at Donny's! 

6 comments:

  1. You are doing an excellent job with your choice of food. I'm diabetic too, so I understand your numbers. BTW, I'm right at 6.0 for my A1C.

    Happy Blue Monday, Jeanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitty video is adorable -- and yay for you for doing so well with healthy food and healthy numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... love those salads!

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macaroni with a hint of curry? Sounds good!

    I played too. Mine are here and here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great place to eat. The best part the lady had on blue pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food looks delish! Happy Blue Monday ;)

    ReplyDelete