"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."






Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer of Color - Red


This is an altered DVD.  The blue color in this photo is misleading.  The bottom half of the circle and the part under the fan is silver in color; however the photo makes it appear to be blue.  I put the DVD in my Big Shot machine in an embossing folder.  I don't know if I would recommend this, as it was somewhat difficult to emboss!  Surprisingly, after embossing the DVD, it separated into two pieces.  Now if I can just figure out a way to separate the DVD layers BEFORE embossing, I might have an easier time putting it through the embossing machine.  I used red Adirondack ink to color the bottom.  The fan is trimmed with washi paper.


This is the first CD / DVD that I altered.  I started by brushing a thin layer of gesso over top of the surface of the DVD.  When it dried, I pulled out all of my red watercolors and used every one of them on this piece!  I then glazed over it with crystal stickles, and finished it off with a layer of Mod Podge.  Unfortunately, the stickles glaze does not show up in this scan.

If you'd like to try your hand altering a CD or DVD, please enter my challenge.  See info here.

16 comments:

  1. Stunning, so clever and brave at the same time~
    I love how it pops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is so very creative! I love this idea! Huh who knew that it would separate like that! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanie, the cd looks great embossed and altered. The second one is so pretty too, perfect for 'red'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this is stunning, so loving your altered DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative Red Pieces Jeanie! I love the collage one! Very Pretty Color Combinations! Hugs,Tee

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so interesting. Makes me wonder what I could do with one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The end result is gorgeous! You are one brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful altered CD! I LOVE that you embossed it - I would have never thought of that - and the red colors on top are so pretty. Thank you for sharing your techniques and art with us here, xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. both look fabulous...gee...when you say seperated was it in actual layers???that is weird...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. An altered CD - very clever. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful - a great altered CD - loving the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So inventive,my goodness it's pretty .I love fans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you are so creative Jeanie! Fab altered cd...and you are so brave to emboss it in your Big shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would never have imagined you could emboss a dvd, especially not to such excellent effect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is stunning. I have always wanted to attack my discarded cd collection, just never knew what to do!

    ReplyDelete