"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."






Saturday, February 6, 2010

Nobody reads anymore...just you

There's a story behind this card.  Last week I was browsing through the childrens' books at my Goodwill Store.  Two young boys were browsing, too.  They appeared to be brothers - one a few years older than the other.  Apparently, they had a limited amount of money to spend that day. The younger boy wanted to buy a book he had found.  But his older brother was discouraging him, saying that if they looked further in the store, they might find something REALLY cool.  The older boy said, disparagingly, "Nobody reads anymore...just you."

Unfortunately, the older boy won the arguement and they left without the book.  This was unbelievably sad.  When I think of all of the marvelous reading adventures I had as a child - visiting far away and mysterious places through the pages of a book, I feel sad for anyone who thinks reading is a waste of time.

2 comments:

  1. Sad isnt it... reading takes you everywhere and anywhere.... love your card jenox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanie, Thanks so much for taking the magic carpet ride to my blog. I've loved reading through yours and seeing your gorgeous artwork.
    And yes I couldn't agree more, I remember being transported to many a magical place as a child through the many books I read and books are still one of my very favorite things.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete