"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."






Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dress Challenge - September Dress

Here in Georgia, September is definitely not the start of Fall weather!  My dress for September for Alice and Camilla's Dress Challenge is simple and 60's, and still very summery-looking.  My Mom had a dress very much like this.  The reason I remember it so well is that she wore it during a vacation trip to Chicago and it appears in many photographs.  She made it herself, as she did all of her clothes, and mine as well.

I painted the paper with dabs of watercolor and after it dried, wadded it up in a ball.  I then unfolded it carefully and glued it to the dress form, using a brayer to add the crinkly details.  I then used a thin marker to highlight the flower shapes.  The boat neck was a very popular style in the 60's.

19 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I was coming up with a color palette for this month, but my yard is dead, so a fall palette seemed right in my neck of the woods. Glad you are keeping summer alive. This is one stunning dress, and I can't believe you painted that. You are SO talented and creative. Such a lovely dress and beautiful cool colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh!this is amazing.I think this style is beautiful.
    have an wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty! I remember a lady at church wore a dress similar to this one when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!!! I miss the style of the 60s so much and your creation is fantastic, truly!!! The colors, the design--the whole creation is so gorgeous!
    HUGS,
    Cindy
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous 60's fashion Jeanie! love the colours so much and wonderful technique you've used. A really pretty Septemebr to you! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about your dress! The colors and the style. I can almost imagine it on my mom as well. It's no where near autumn here too but I've had autumn on the brain. Probably to escape the 99 degree heat, lol. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect - I love my mum's dresses from that period - so girly & pretty.
    I love your colour scheme & the delicateness of the painting. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This little bit is gorgeous! The print is so familiar. Lovely colors, Well Done, Jeanie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh! my Mum had a similar dress too! You have done an amazing job to this, love the colours X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress is lovely and WOW ... your inspiration is so very special too!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh!!! I love it!
    You should post a picture of grandma in it too!!

    I really need to make a dress or two myself out of paper. Maybe I'll look through some of moms old dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your dress! The flowers look beautiful. I remember my mom wearing one very much like this at Easter time. :)Nan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am enjoying all of the wonderful dresses. How very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dress is gorgeous - love the style! Lovely that it brings back memories too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delightful dress, I love the colours you've used!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, love your 60's creation!
    Your painted dress is beautiful!
    Stunning Jeanie!

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete